Among Redfall’s four playable characters, choosing just one can be challenging. They are all so unique, with quirky personalities and even weirder abilities that make them interesting. While it depends on personal preference, it’s always a good idea to get to know their abilities before choosing which hero you want to play.
Each of the four heroes have upgradable abilities, which encourages you to focus on spending time on each one. You can use multiple abilities at the same time, so there’s nothing stopping you from finding your tactics as you please. Though keep in mind that Redfall characters have cooldowns for two of the three main abilities. His last, his last, has to be charged up by collecting Psychic Residue.
Read on and this guide will show you all four of Redfall’s characters, their abilities, and which of them is the best fit for you.
All Redfall characters and abilities
Here are the four Redfall characters to choose from:
- jacob (The dead eye)
- devinder (The Cryptic Hunter)
- layla (The telekinetic menace)
- remi (The Ingenious Engineer)
Jacob (The Dead Eye)
Jacob Boyer, a former military marksman turned mercenary before his entire team was killed. The events that transpired in Redfall have given him a mysterious magical eye and a psychic raven companion. A lot of his abilities revolve around him being able to scout enemies and vantage points and fight from a distance.
jacob – Redfall Character Skills:
- Layer – This ability makes Jacob invisible to enemies for a period of time. It can be used to safely gain vantage points without attracting attention so far. Shooting will not break the cloak itself, but it will dissipate after several shots.
- Raven – This ability uses Jacob’s companion psychic bird to scout and tag enemies for him. It can be used to get a better idea of how many enemies you are up against and where they are positioned.
- stopshearts – This is Jacob’s ultimate ability. He will summon a psychic sniper rifle that can immediately target targets and deal fatal damage.
Devinder (The Cryptic Hunter)
Devinder Crousley, an eccentric inventor of the weird and a cryptozoologist who wants to prove himself to the masses. The playstyle of him revolves around him being good at crowd control and AoE damage. Many of his abilities revolve around his strange inventions.
devindér – Redfall Character Skills:
- javelin bow – This ability will cause Devinder to throw a javelin that sticks to a surface. It moves in an arc so she can aim to get over obstacles. The javelin emits chain lightning that damages multiple enemies within range once charged.
- Translocate – This ability causes Devinder to throw one of his inventions in an arc. He is then transported to the location where the device landed. It’s great for repositioning, escaping tricky crowds, and getting into hard-to-reach areas.
- black light – This is Devinder’s ultimate ability. An ultraviolet beam emitter is mounted on the ground directly in front of him, petrifying enemies that get in the way. Any trapped enemy is stunned for a short period of time where they are at your mercy.
Layla (The Telekinetic Menace)
A biomedical engineering student who had a near-death experience after a night out with her ex-boyfriend. The medical experiment she volunteered for gave her telekinetic abilities that make her a force to be reckoned with. Definitely a stylish in-your-face goon in combat.
Layla – Redfall Character Abilities:
- Raise – This ability summons an elevator made of telekinesis that acts as a jumping pad. Use it to quickly get in and out of combat or to get to higher ground quickly.
- Umbrella – This ability summons a telekinetic umbrella in front of Layla that protects her team against incoming projectiles. The umbrella itself can be thrown forward, damaging enemies that get in the way. A great ability to push when the odds are against you.
- vampire ex-boyfriend – This is Layla’s ultimate ability. She summons her vampiric ex-boyfriend to help her in combat when the going gets tough.
Remi (The Ingenious Engineer)
A Marine combat engineer who spent most of her life on the front lines and is now determined to help the survivors of Redfall in any way she can. Her abilities and skills reflect this, making her a great support for Redfall’s character in keeping her team alive.
Remi – Redfall Character Abilities:
- C4 charge – This ability causes Remi to fire a C4 charge in an arc that can stick to surfaces. It will explode, damaging enemies caught in its radius. A great tool to clean up the horde.
- Siren – This ability causes Remi to use his robot companion, Rogue, to attract the enemy’s attention. By pinpointing an area for Rogue to go to, she will create loud noises that will draw enemies to his location, allowing him to prepare some nasty surprises.
- Mobilize – This is Remi’s ultimate ability. She sets up a checkpoint around a perimeter. Her equipment can be healed or revived when she is within her radius.
Which Redfall character is best for you?
It all depends on your taste, but if you are playing for the first time, we recommend that you play as Jacob. Not only is he voiced by Yuri Lowenthal, but his skills and abilities make him suitable for new players looking to have some fun in Redfall. The ability to scan your targets, turn invisible, and fight from a distance makes him a great hero to master and dominate.
If you’re more interested in being a goon, we’d recommend picking up Layla, as her skill set easily makes her the best Redfall character for matchups. She can switch in and out of combat and reposition herself however she sees fit. It doesn’t hurt that Layla can damage the tank more easily thanks to her umbrella.
Whoever you want to lead, you’ll definitely want to spend some time with them. How you can increase your skills by investing in your skill tree. You can even collect Grave Locks, which lowers the charge for your Ultimate, allowing you to use it more.
Those are all the Redfall characters and their abilities. We hope this guide has helped you decide which hero you want to be the main one.
red drop is now available on Xbox Series X|S and PC (via Xbox Game Pass, Steam, and Epic Games).