Have you been experiencing lag during gaming or other internet-related activities? Even though your internet service provider (ISP) might have promised you a strong bandwidth, there is a chance they might not be fulfilling it. However, we covered you and developed a comprehensive article to test your network connection.
- Using the command prompt is an efficient way of troubleshooting your internet issues. The Ping and Tracert commands are a bit complicated for people, not in tech but are 100% accurate.
- Using Windows Settings, you can check whether your device is connected to the internet. You can also troubleshoot your network drivers through it.
- The website FAST generates extremely reliable results unless there are Netflix outages.
- Speedtest by Ookla provides a comprehensive overview of your network connection and possible outages.
How To Test Your Network Connection?
One way is through using Window’s very own command prompt. This method has proved to be a very accurate, reliable, and convenient way to check your internet connection. However, it might be a bit complicated for people that are not tech-savvy.
Multiple websites are also out there, designed to test your internet connection. However, some are better than others. It is important to know which website to trust when testing your connection since false information can lead to ill-informed decisions that you might regret later.
Use The Command Prompt
Using the Command Prompt is quick and effective and can be useful in a variety of situations. You can use CMD to check your network connectivity in two ways. It might seem a bit complicated, but with our carefully drafted simple steps, you will be done in no time.
The Ping Command
This command shows you if you are experiencing any loss of packets. Loss of packets basically means losing information while transmitting it onto another network.
- Press Win, and type CMD.
- Once you have opened it, type in ping www.exputer.com.
- If your Loss is at 0%, your network is presumably fine.
- If you did experience a loss, we would advise you to double-check by entering a different website, like www.google.com.
This method is quick and efficient. However, if you want additional information, we can use a different command.
The Tracert Command
This command is very similar to the Ping command. The only difference is that it gives out additional information, which can be useful when you are trying to troubleshoot problems with your internet connection.
- Open the command prompt by pressing Win and typing CMD.
- Enter tracert www.exputer.com
- If your results show up like this, there are no problems with your internet connection.
This command basically shows the route taken by your network from your computer to exputer.com. It displays the IP address of each router in the path and the time consumed to reach each one. It is especially useful if you are trying to find bottlenecks or points of failure in a network.
- The CMD prompts provide you with 100% accurate information.
- Useful for troubleshooting issues like packet loss and bottlenecks.
- Extremely hard to understand the results if you are not tech-savvy.
- The prompts do not show the Upload/Download speed.
Also Read: How to Validate Game Files on PC.
Through Windows Settings
This option is great if you want to know whether your device is connected to the internet.
- Press Win, and search for Settings.
- Go to Network and Internet.
- The Status of whether you are connected to the internet will show here.
If your other devices are connected to the internet, but this one is not, you can check for issues using the Network troubleshooter. The option for it is located in the same window.
- Extremely easy.
- Provides troubleshooting abilities.
- It only shows limited information.
FAST Network Speed Tester has been around for ages and is one of the most reliable websites. Its simplicity and accuracy are just a few reasons for its raging popularity. It tests your network connection by measuring the speed of downloading data from Netflix.
However, one key drawback is if anyone is intentionally slowing down Netflix Traffic, FAST will give inaccurate results.
To check your results, simply follow the steps below.
- Click on this link.
- The Website will automatically start testing your internet speed.
- Wait for a few moments for it to finalize the results.
- Next, click Show more info for a more extensive overview of your results.
- The website is simple and very easy to use.
- It generally gives very accurate results.
- Reflects directly on the quality of your Netflix Streaming.
- It does not give out comprehensive results.
- It might be inaccurate when someone slows down Netflix Traffic.
Use Speedtest by Ookla
The Speedtest provided by Ookla is our personal favourite. It provides a complete and comprehensive overview of your network connection and shows you the possible problems for major applications like Instagram or Steam. It also shows you the name of your Internet Service Provider.
Follow the easy tests below to test your network connection using Speedest by Ookla.
- Click this link.
- Press Go, located at the centre.
- Wait for the results to finalize.
- The website is very easy to use.
- It provides a comprehensive overview.
- Lists possible outages of major platforms.
- Shows you the name of your Internet Service Provider.
- It is not known for accuracy.
- Multiple Ads on the website can be frustrating for the user.
How Did The Testing Go?
In this day and age, it’s absolutely impossible to get by without having a decent internet connection. So, we understand your frustration when your internet connection is having problems. Hence, we came up with every possible way you can test your internet connectivity.
If your PC has good specifications but still feels slow, we recommend reading How to Disable Hardware Acceleration. You can also optimize your Windows experience through Best Windows 10 Settings/Optimization for Gaming.
How do I increase my internet speed?
You can optimize your internet connection by placing your device near the Wi-Fi router, finding a reliable VPN, and limiting the number of devices connected to your router.
What is a good internet speed?
A download speed of 25mbp/s and an upload speed of 3mbp/s is considered decent.
What is a good ping/latency?
Having a ping speed of below 50ms is desirable. Having anything about 100ms will generate a noticeable lag.
Was this article helpful?
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍